Waking up with morning stiffness in the mid part of your foot? Feeling a dull ache that isn’t going away? We may have the answer for you. You may have osteoarthritis causing the discomfort in the mid part of your foot. Our Podiatrists in Greensborough can provide you with some information about this condition and how we can help get you back to what you love doing pain-free!
What is osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis is a ‘wear and tear’ degenerative condition that can affect any joint in the body. Unfortunately, the more birthdays you have, the more likely you are to develop osteoarthritis. Pain that increases with weight-bearing activity and/or is worse during the colder months of the year may be due to midfoot osteoarthritis.
What are the symptoms?
Your symptoms may be following:
- Pain on the top of your midfoot
- Stiffness and/or swelling in the morning
- Constant ache throughout the day
- Pain gets worse once you start moving
- Wearing flat shoes or being bare-footed when walking may aggravate pain
What causes the midfoot osteoarthritis?
- Increased BMI
- A specific incident such as a fall
- Increasing age
- Repetitive movement in the midfoot area
- Family history
- Foot posture
How can we help?
There are a variety of treatment options that our Podiatry team in Greensborough can offer to help you. These include:
- Activity modification (doing more of things that don’t flare up your pain and less of the things that do)
- Ice and/or anti-inflammatory medication to settle down the pain
- Footwear assessment and advice
- Reducing muscle tightness and improving muscle strength
- Orthotics to reduce load on the midfoot area and improve foot function
- Recommend a surgical opinion if deemed necessary
Sound familiar? Got pain that isn’t going away and feel like this could be it? For individual advice regarding your feet, feel free to contact us or book an appointment online.
Written by Dion Vallianos (Podiatrist at the Diamond Valley Foot & Ankle Clinic)